13-19 марта 2017 под Владимиром состоится ритрит с Гуруджи Шибенду Лахири. Мы счастливы пригласить всех криябанов принять участие в ритрите.
Milan, Italy, 8 Aug. 2004
What is Mantra?
Man-tra signifies a process of transcendence beyond mind. Unfortunately, in the spiritual market, mantras are dished out as sedatives to keep a person (agitated by anxiety and ambition) amused and assured within the precincts of the mental prison. Without Swadhyay (self-knowing), mere mantra chanting becomes sensuous excitement and entertainment without much significance. Mechanical repetition of words brings about dullness in the consciousness, not stillness. A mind made still is not still mind. Chanting mantras with a motive generated by envy, fear, greed and the search for power, is indeed vulgarity. That is why the ancient human wisdom sang in the Upanishads (also called Vedanta which implies freedom from the bondage of knowledge to be available to the bliss of knowing):
uttamā sahajāvasthā madhyamā dhyānadhāraṇā | japastutiḥ syādadhamā homapūjādhamādhamā ||
In matters deeply religious (that is, in the nature of a religious brain which means total freedom from beliefs & bigotry, concepts & conclusions, dogmas & delusions, postulates & paradoxes, past prejudices & pretensions, imitations & influences, ideas & inhibitions, gurus & giris, popes & paramahansas), any controversy about scriptural interpretations is lower than the low. Japa (repetition of words as mantra) is the low. Yogic practices and meditative postures are medium. Par excellent is the natural state in which a radical change, not merely reform, is possible. In this state, pure understanding happens without pollution from the conditioned consciousness and thus no loss of energy takes place due to conflicts and battles of opinions and other mental pre-occupations.
Sanskrit vibrations (chanting) are beneficial for the body and these do enhance the energy of comprehension. But mechanical chanting with a motive must be avoided. Gurus whisper a mantra in your ear and keep you (mind) obsessed through compulsions of repetition. This is indeed disastrous.
Following thirty-three mantras are suggested for contemplation. And thereby transcendence beyond mind may perhaps be possible. This is the real significance of mantra as already stated at the outset.
1. Thought (what should be) promotes vanity. Truth (what is) protects vitality.
2. A spiritual teacher does not need an organisation, but his students may need for co-ordination. When a teacher starts organising, he is no longer a teacher. He is then only a manipulator.
3. Meditation is not by the ‘I’, of the ‘I’, for the ‘I’. It is awakening of Intelligence.
4. For matters technical, development is essential. For matters psychological, dissolution is the essence.
5. ‘God’ does not exist! He is existence! Emptiness of experience is divine. Innocence is not ignorance.
6. Imagining or claiming dialogue and conversation with ‘God’ is sick. Only a sacred silence is possible with God.
7. Perception is relationship with Existence. Concept is relationship with experience. Reality is not experience, it is Existence.
8. Rebelliousness is renewal, rebirth, radical change, and insight.
9. Success needs to be evaluated in terms of peace, piousness and purity; not in terms of power, possessions and prominence as also in terms of goodness, grace and gratitude; not in terms of glamour, glitter and gratification.
10. Fear is the destructive energy in mankind. It withers the consciousness, it distorts thought, it leads to all kinds of extraordinarily clever and subtle theories, absurd superstitions, dogmas and beliefs. Whole theological thuggery of organised religions, sects and cults is based on exploitation of the ground human conditioned consciousness comprising of craving for security, fear of insecurity, dependencies on ideas and beliefs along with all the competitions and conflicts arising there from.
11. Prayer is a pursuit which re-inforces religious dogmas. Meditation is peace which re-kindles realisation of divinity.
12. Experience is in the dimension of duality. Perception is non-dual. It is mutation.
13. ‘I-less-ness’ is not idleness. Wisdom of non-doer-ship is not non-doing.
14. Kriya-yoga is to do in ‘being’ and ‘to be’ in doing.
15. Emotion changes, love does not change.
16. Ceaseless toil for bread in the vast majority is because of senseless toil by big business in the small minority of humanity.
17. Illusion (‘I’) cannot be dropped, but can be understood only by and for oneself. The very understanding dispels the illusion.
18. Knock off the whole list – self, SELF, soul, spirit, I, mind, ego &c and have no way of finding out what you are left with! And suddenly there may be an explosion in the psych ending all suffering and sorrow!
19. “Some think that ‘God’ exists, others think that It does not. Rare are the persons who do not think either and are this free from garbage of the limited consciousness as also from agitation & disturbance.” (Astavakra Gita 18.42)
20. “Those who are not seeking, have a resting place inside (Swadhay) and thus they do not need any resting place outside.” (‘God, ‘Son of God’, ‘Saviour’, ‘Prophet’, ‘Apostles, ‘Saints’, ‘Angels’, ‘Ruh’, ‘Jin’, ‘Astral beings’, ‘Deva’, ‘Devi’, ‘Babaji’, ‘Mataji’, ‘Mamaji’, ‘Kakaji, &c) (Astavakra Gita 18.44)
21. Abandon all goals, greed and the search for ultimate gratification called ‘God’. And thus be glorious & godly.
22. Be perceptive and wakeful and do not borrow any knowledge from anybody whatever may be his or her title, reputation, status, length of beard or hair-locks, and strange garments/robes/costumes.
23. Meditation Centres everywhere are good rackets operated by gentle rascals. Meditation is the flower blooming in a particular human being. Mass meditation gives rise to mafias.
24. A meditative consciousness is not wise in wisdom, not distracted in distraction, does not run off to meditation centres or to forest for peace. Whatever and whenever, it remains peaceful. In this state, there is neither thought nor even absence of thought! Being a state of no experience, there is neither agitation nor stillness!
25. State of negation is indeed a state of no opposites and this state is not an opposite of something else! Negation is not a state of oblivion or emptiness. Smoke may consider fresh air as empty! Negation is freedom. It is to die to psychological recording and thus be totally detached.
26. Silence by silence in silence without the experience of silence is enlightenment, which must not be ambushed by clever tricks of ego.
27. There is this road to “success” and “status”. The other road to the Sacred is not on the map, nor can it ever be put on any map! Every map is a map of the wrong road, the old & obsolete road, to be rejected outright as it is the outcome of the conspiracy of the separative consciousness.
28. “That which you have will save you if you bring it forth from yourself.” (Saint Thomas)
29. “In the beginning, Universe was unmanifest energy of Intelligence – the Wholeness, Holiness.” (Rig Veda)
30. Holistic consciousness is in link with Intelligence (Purna Chaitanya). It has nothing to do with experience, expectation, entertainment and excitement, even though it is extremely alive.
31. See the obvious, don’t seek the opposite.
32. Mind thinks; ‘No-mind’ knows.
33. Diversity is creativity, but duality is chaos.
33 REPRESENTS ॐ ॐ THE DIVINE SOUND OF SILENCEDownload the Message in PDF format: Message 69: What is Mantra? (English)